ING Belgium will give yet another boost to interest rates for all its savings customers
Thursday, November 16 - Brussels - As of Friday 1 December 2023, ING Belgium will give yet another boost to interest rates for all its savings customers.
The decision forms part of the bank’s response to changing market conditions.
In practice, the changes to ING’s interest rate policy will affect both of the bank’s 2 main savings accounts and applies to both the base interest rate and fidelity premium.
- ING Savings Account: the base rate to increase from 0.45% to 0,50%.
- Savings that remain on this account for at least one year will benefit from a fidelity premium that will rise from 1.05% to 1,75%.
- ING Tempo Savings: the base rate to increase from 0.75% to 1,20%.
- Savings that remain on this account for at least one year will benefit from a fidelity premium that will rise from 1.50% to 1,80%.
For deposits made before 1 December 2023, the old fidelity premium will still apply. The base rate is applied from the day after the money is deposited on the account until the day of withdrawal.
The fidelity premium is earned on amounts left on the account for a continuous period of 12 consecutive months.
ING Tempo Savings is an online regulated savings account where customers choose to save a fixed amount of up to 500 euros each month.
ING will also raise the base rate and fidelity premium of its ING Green Savings Account, ING Orange Savings Account, ING Lion Premium Account and ING Lion Deposit savings accounts. For these regulated savings products, the interest rate will rise from a 0.55% base rate and 0.15% fidelity premium to 0,60% and 0,20% respectively.
The following savings accounts will be affected by the interest rate increase: ING Savings Account, ING Tempo Savings, ING Green Savings Account, ING Orange Savings Account, ING Lion Premium Savings Account and ING Lion Deposit, all of which are regulated savings governed by Belgian law.
The ING Orange Savings Account, ING Lion Premium Savings Account and ING Lion Deposit have no longer been marketed since 1 January 2021. The ING Savings Account was launched on 9 January 2023, while since the same date, the ING Green Savings Account can only be opened for rental security deposits.
Key information for savers is available for each of ING’s current savings products via the following links:
Visit ing.be for a complete overview of all ING regulated savings accounts.
Taxes and charges
- Regulated savings accounts are unlimited in duration. Deposits can be withdrawn at any time, subject to compliance with the applicable general regulations. If the saver withdraws money from his savings account before the amount has remained in the account uninterruptedly for 12 months, he will lose the fidelity premium. There are no management, opening or closing fees.
- Regulated savings accounts are exempted from withholding tax (15%):
- Up to 980 euro interest/year1 for savings accounts opened in one name
- Up to 1.960 euro/year2 for savings accounts opened in the name of two spouses or two legal cohabitants.
- Interest rate risk: The base rate and fidelity premium can be changed at any time by the bank. Customers will be informed of this in due time (either digitally or via their account statements).
- Credit risk: Savings of up to 100,000 euros are protected by the deposit protection scheme. Any additional amounts could potentially be lost in the event of bankruptcy or the risk of bankruptcy by ING. In such cases, they may also be subject to a reduction or conversion into shares, as a result of which customers could potentially lose the remaining amount. For more information, please refer to the key information for savers.
- Inflation risk: Rising prices (inflation) can negatively affect purchasing power.
Before opening a regulated savings account, customers are advised to read all applicable regulations, key information for savers and other relevant documents. All information and documentation is available from the ing.be website.
Key information for savers
- ING Savings Account
- ING Tempo Savings
- ING Green Savings Account (for rental security deposits)
- ING Orange Savings Account
- ING Lion Deposit
- ING Lion Premium Savings Account
Customers who need more information about ING savings products or who wish to file a complaint can contact the bank’s customer service hotline or the Ombudsman for financial services:
- ING Belgium customer service: +32 2 464 60 04
- ING Belgium complaints department: +32 2 547 61 02 – [email protected] / [email protected]
- Ombudsman for financial services: Ombudsfin
1 2024 tax year - 2023 income
2 2024 tax year - 2023 income
For further information:
ING Belgium is a universal bank that provides financial services for private individuals, businesses and institutional customers. ING Belgium S.A./nv is a subsidiary of ING Group N.V. via ING Bank N.V. (www.ing.com).
ING is a global financial institution with a strong European base, oﬀering banking services through its operating company ING Bank. The purpose of ING Bank is to empower people to stay a step ahead in life and in business. ING Bank’s more than 58,000 employees oﬀer retail and wholesale banking services to customers in over 40 countries. ING Group shares are listed on the Amsterdam (INGA NA, INGA.AS), Brussels and on the New York) Stock Exchange (ADRs: ING US, ING.N).